Scott M. Ausbrooks
Director & State Geologist
Office of the State Geologist
5301 Northshore Drive
North Little Rock, Arkansas 72118
Director of the Office of the State Geologist since May of 2021.
Mr. Ausbrooks has worked for the Office of the State Geologist for 18 years and State of Arkansas for almost 20 years, which included a brief period at the Arkansas Department of Transportation. More recent work includes geologic mapping on the EMRI-Rare Earth Minerals project and STATEMAP. Past work included research into earthquakes previously occurring in north-central Arkansas and their potential of had being man-induced. Mr. Ausbrooks was co-investigator that studied the earthquakes in north-central Arkansas and their relationship to saltwater disposal which was found to trigger the Guy-greenbrier Earthquake Swarm. He was project leader overseeing the installation of the Arkansas Seismic Network, which consists of nine-state-of-the-art permanent broadband seismic stations across Arkansas. Mr. Ausbrooks has conducted numerous "Earthquake 101" and Overview of the "NMSZ" presentations and worked with several agencies and organizations involved in "NMSZ" research and mitigation projects. Mr. Ausbrooks' previous experience includes geologic mapping; quality control sampling for quarries; preparation of geological reports for bridge replacement projects; landslide studies; drill core inspections; monitor well driller; technical writing; geotechnical logging; surveying; and environmental consulting.
- Currently attending the University of Memphis, Memphis, Tennessee seeking Master's degree in Geophysics with an emphasis in Seismology
- Bachelor of Science in Geology, August 2001, University of Arkansas at Little Rock, Little Rock, Arkansas: Major GPA: 4.0 Overall GPA: 3.8
- Bachelor of Science in Surveying and Land Information Systems, August 2001, University of Arkansas at Little Rock, Little Rock, Arkansas: Major GPA: 4.0 Overall GPA: 3.8
- Associate of Arts, General Studies, December 1997, University of Central Arkansas, Conway, Arkansas
- Arkansas Registered Professional Geologist #1870
- Land Surveyor Intern (Surveyor-in-training) #428
- AWWC Driller for Monitoring Wells #2688